Wednesday, April 25, 2012

the easy way

You don't find many decorating tips here on Country Weekend, because....I don't have many. But today I have the Easiest Decorating Tip Ever.


 The wall outside of the store was looking a little dingy. I was thinking about stenciling some vines, which I've done before. But I'm always so busy...I took the easy way.


Stickers. My friend Gerry was selling them in his store. 
Please don't sic the decorating police on me.

 I guess I should be embarrassed, but I love them. 
If you click on the pictures you can get a larger view.
 (That's the art gallery next door.)


In the 1980's the windows of hundreds of abandoned city-owned buildings in New York City were covered with vinyl decals of curtains, shutters, and flower pots. I lived in NYC then and remember them well. They got a lot of well-deserved ridicule. I thought of that when I put up my hydrangeas. Why is is bad for the Bronx but okay for me? Maybe because I'm not pretending anything. Just doing a little short-cut pick me up. (That's probably what Mayor Koch said too.)


Gerry had a package of pink ranunculus that I strongly considered, but I'm happy with the hydrangeas.The company has a huge variety available. See here. I'll try to remember to take a close up picture next time so you can get a better look.  If you're still talking to me after this.

20 comments:

  1. I know I am not fashionable, but do what works for you, it makes you unique. I think they look adorable. (but what do I know?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen! I have a feeling you know a lot. And I'm not fashionable either.

      Delete
  2. Hello Jen:
    Certainly a very quick and near instant decorative solution which makes the front of your store look most inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does look more inviting and it surprised me how effective something so simple could be!

      Delete
  3. looks so much more welcoming!

    there's only one rule in decorating - that YOU love or at least enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hydrangeas, too. I remember that you have a shrub of beautiful white hydrangeas in your garden. It's seasonable though you can change them any time you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good memory you have! That hydrangea truly is glorious. And I love the idea of changing the stickers seasonally.

      Delete
  5. I think that's wonderful! Fun, light-hearted, discreetly attention-calling. Saw those decals in the store you mentioned and considered them for my office. Opted out but they look wonderful framing your shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still can't believe I missed you. Hope you come back sometime. Though you me find me coming your way, looking for a kitten...

      Delete
  6. Jen, your shop entrance looks adorable. And the floors are gorgeous. And the stickers are perfect to add a little fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the floors too. The building is an old mercantile. Fun is the right word--and we all need a little fun in our lives!

      Delete
  7. Jolly and easy can't be faulted: it looks well! I could do now with a decal of a nice cup of tea on the desk beside me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mise--I think the polka dot egg cups are calling to you.
      http://www.nouvellesimages.com/Egg-cups_LES-COUSINES_art~170.001496.05_id~stickers_mode~zoom

      Delete
  8. Still talking to - even more so now! They look gorgeous and so match the season! Well done! By the way: That blue pot on that chair is a piece that is still missing in my collection... Have fun in your "garden"! Christa PS. It is good to know that I am not the only disorganized person...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your shop front looks lovely and the flowers are great. Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love them. looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE em, Jen! Really cheery and cute, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It does look lovely Jen! I can remember my mother used stickers in the 70s too, to put on the tiles in the bathroom. It looked just as sweet as yours.

    Happy new week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete