Wednesday, April 11, 2012

around here

A better look at the Curious George print from my last post, when I was more interested in showing you my paint craziness. (as always, click for larger view of pictures)

Eating at my desk, which I rarely do, but the green bowl looks so nice with the green vase, which tells me I am spending way too much time with the home decor/styling tsunami on the internet. Am I the only one who thinks large curd cottage cheese is significantly better than small? And yet it's hard to find, so when I do, I grab three cartons. At least.

Reading poems by my long ago, far away friend Galway Kinnell, one of my favorite poets.

Collage.

I have been lusting after the blue flowers everyone has been posting on their blogs and finally I have my very own blue flowers to share. I am imagining a flower bed that is 50% blue and deep purple flowers, 30% pink flowers and 20% white flowers.


Last weekend I didn't go to the Catskills because I was in New Jersey with 30 or so of my favorite in-laws. Unfortunately I missed a visit to the store from Ashling, a blogger friend who lives in the northern Catskills. (My place is in the Western Catskills, and obviously I need to write a post on Catskill geography). Read her blog, Confessions of a Would-Be Mountain Woman here. I won't be there next weekend either--my husband has invited his buddies for an all-night poker game. (They do that a few times a year, and I prefer to stay far away.) So any dispatches will be forthcoming from Massachusetts, where I am currently sitting in the above-pictured chair. That sentence put me in a state of cognitive dissonance...

Jen

22 comments:

  1. Hi Jen, I have just done a post about my blue flowers! I love them and yours are gorgeous! What a coincidence!
    P.S I have never had large curd cottage cheese, we only get the small stuff over here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne--going right over to see your flowers!

      Delete
  2. Hello Jen:
    An all night poker game - now that does sound rather serious. We do trust that your husband, in the manner of some C19 aristocrats, will not gamble away not only your store and stock but your house as well!!!

    And now we can imagine you sitting in that very inviting looking chair reading poetry. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane and Lance--No need to worry; my store is much more of a gamble than the poker game! And I'm pretty sure "all night" ends around 1 a.m.

      Delete
  3. Freezing cold here today all flowers turned as blue as my lips by the wind!

    I love the little green vase.

    And yes large curd much better. Small curd rather Dickens.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you been reading Great Expectations on your fancy new smart phone?

      Delete
  4. I like the picture of palm trees, and the interesting collage. When you imagine about your garden and the store, the stuffs around you would help, I'm sure. I like such stuffs, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if Curious George was published in Japanese, but it's a favorite of mine!

      Delete
  5. 30 in-laws. that sounds like my private little hell. not that my in-laws (not that I'm married) are not nice. but 30!!! I get too much if there are five family members present at the same time (of the alltogether maybe 10 I have). anyhow, I like your little collection of images. the collages is beautiful, and I am now reminded that I haven't had cottage cheese - any kind - in ages.

    happy thursday xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I come from a small, quiet family, and it took me years to figure out how to be comfortable with a large noisy one. (I take a lot of walks or find a quiet place to read. :)

      Delete
  6. THIRTY in-laws!? you like 'em i hope? lol
    i miss the bluebells of England's Spring time.

    i have a very similar chair, for reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of cousins, second cousins, cousins once removed...We do it every year and it's fun.

      Delete
  7. Oh, so nice to start catching up with you again! Love the daffs! Spring is near! and I'm going to check out the poet; my husband and i were just talking about poetry tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missed you too! Glad you're back with your new blog.

      Delete
  8. I love the color scheme you have planned for the garden! Blue flowers are a favorite here.

    I'm so glad you stopped by my blog!! I'll browse your blog more to see where in the Catskills so I can stop by your store sometime. I'm in the southern part of the region. And another Catskill blogger (Would Be Mountain Woman)! Will have to visit her, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda--the store is in Margaretville, and only open weekends. Hope to meet you one of these days!

      Delete
  9. Hi Jen,
    I like blue flowers too. In spring my garden is usually full of blue flowers; forget-me-not,viola, muscari, delphinium...accentuated with pale pink or yellow tiny frothy flowers. I have to wait for a while for them to get in full swing. What's the name of blue flowers in the picture? Looks pretty.Your pictures are all lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely illustration, that of Curious George. And I can relate to your deciding on white for your wall colour... mine are aqua, which I love, but if/when I change, I'm going for white. There's just something soothing about it, and it pulls so many things together so beautifully. It's great to meet you, Jen, and thanks for visiting me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Curious George, flowers and poetry? I'm all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. At first glance I thought the bowl of cottage cheese was a frying pan and was thinking gosh Jen, just bring the whole pan to the table. Can't say that I've never done that. :)

    I just love the big chair for reading.

    ReplyDelete