Sunday, July 14, 2013

brimful of Brimfield



Brimfield Massachusetts Antique Show
Three times a year, 21 fields, more than 5000 dealers.


plenty of whimsy


vintage pottery


big green cupboard, old map, and night crawlers sign 
(I'm moving in)


plenty of painted, chippy, shabby, cottage, garden


sweet white and green tete a tete chair


duck hunting boat


best industrial fan


so many great old windows


plenty of reproduction signs, but I think this is the real deal


one more look at the perfect hybrids of cottage charm and industrial salvage



Based on one visit, I think the best way to approach Brimfield is like an anthropological expedition, or perhaps a carnival---fun, weird, and try not to spend all your money on ring toss hoping for the life size teddy bear. There is high end, low end and everything between. Worlds collide--mint julep v budweiser, hot dog v. lobster roll, Neiman Marcus v Old Navy...




 It's fun to just wander. Fields I'd been told were the best were kinda disappointing. Fields I'd never heard of were interesting. There were nice dealers and snooty ones. Prices seemed generally fair--not bargains, but not outrageous. Beware of reproductions. Wear comfortable shoes.



upcycled potting bench

Nice surprises: Good industrial and architectural salvage at reasonable prices. Well done upcycled furniture. Prices on old painted cabinets, pie safes (especially at the end of the week). Kicking myself for passing up the big wideboard cabinet in old pink paint for $200...

I'll show you what I did buy in my next post.



22 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, this looks amazing!
    I was going to comment on each think individually but as I scrolled down I realised I was being crazy....so much stuff I would love.
    Fave thing, the map, currently at the top of my wish list.
    Great post!
    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That map was fabulous. It would bring a room to life!

      Delete
  2. Such fun...I bet you bought some pottery, no? yes? we'll see. OK I'll wait. That duck hunting boat is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I'm getting too predictable.
      Love the boat too!

      Delete
  3. Oh what fun! I love looking at the pictures. I can't wait to see what you brought home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing too exciting ( lesson for next time).

      Delete
  4. What a GREAT event! I'm in love with that giant fan and the stork... it must have been a blast. Can't wait to see what treasures you acquired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That fan was awesome. They had it on too, which made their tent very inviting.

      Delete
  5. Wish I could have joined you at the fair. It looks promising!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd have loved to have been there Jen. It looks as if there were lots of lovely things to be had.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been, always wanted to go. But I think I'd get in big trouble. Too much temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jen... Not sure I would even be coherent after such a wonderful adventure! My favorites include the colorful cabinets along with the chalkware dogs and the awesome lobster pot! Can't wait to see your take-home from the show. Happy week! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I would have been overwhelmed by the size of it all. Really enjoyed the photos, though. Did you wear comfortable shoes? I couldn't tell from your statement. Did you take your husband - and did he enjoy it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to stay very zen, but even so it is is overwhelming. Remembered comfortable shoes, forgot sun hat. No h. -he would not have enjoyed it. A fun place to go with a friend if you move at the same pace.

      Delete
  10. So many goods are new to me, tete a tete chair, duck hunting boat, for example...Furnitures look to have their own stories and history. I think it would be difficult for me to chose some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The duck hunting boat was new to me too. You are so right about furniture having stories and histories--that's what I love about antiques.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing; someday we'll go...Jen, I swear that last photo is the same potting bench Linda & I swooned over at the Country Living Fair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was some really clever upcycled stuff.

      Delete
  12. Potting bench for me please. I always get so overwhelmed by big shows.

    I think Brimfield would do me in. Any Starbucks?

    I love shopping from my dining room though.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jen, Since I have no house anymore, I gloss over the big pieces (sometimes with a pang of regret) and concentrate on the small stuff.
    In your photos, the carved table with the lion? masks looks interesting, but one would have to have the right place for it.
    --Road to Parnassus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You write such wonderful posts about your interesting collections of small things--I have learned so much! Was going through postcards the other day, and saw a few night ones--the type you wrote about.

      Delete