Thursday, March 1, 2012

mud season



It's that dismal time of year when I am reminded why I briefly considered moving the store to one of the villages where stores close for the winter. But lucky me, I am getting on a plane headed for Savannah Georgia tomorrow, to spend a long weekend with my in-laws. I hope to spend time in Savannah, Beaufort S.C., and Tybee Island--if you have any tips on things to see/places to eat in those towns, please let me know. I am taking along Night Swim, a coming of age novel written by my friend Jessica Keener. I've read some excerpts and a draft of the novel Jessica is currently working on--her writing is lyrical and nuanced, and I look forward to sinking into her book. I love Jessica's non-fiction too--the reflections on home that she occasionally posts on her blog are wonderful, and that I hope she will collect and publish them one day.


And I've made a new friend, after reading her book and contacting her. If you like historic fiction you should read The Wolf's Sun, by Karen Charbonneau, a compelling story with rich characters that is packed with historic details. (Did you know that in 17th century Brittany, peasants dropped a chicken down their chimney to clean it?) It's a big book (I read it on Kindle) --a great read to see you through the end of winter. Karen lives in the Idaho wilderness. See wonderful pictures on her blog including a recent entry when she had a mother and baby moose in her yard. 


This is a picture I took two years ago of a house in Bluffton, South Carolina. I will be back next week with pictures of Spanish moss, magnolias, and the low country.

Jen

11 comments:

  1. Have a lovely trip, Jen! Not a day passes when I don't drop a chicken down my own chimney to clean it, so a grand tradition lives on still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a fantastic, relaxing time. M x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I travel from blog to blog just hoping to read a comment posted by Mise and eureka, here she is!

    Enjoy your book and your holiday, and the warmth..

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a great reader. I'm inspired by your style of life which is always fullfilled with your favourite things and matters.
    I like how to paint the frame.
    Have a nice weekend as usual, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, thank you for mentioning The Wolf's Sun. I consider you a new friend, too. What a perfect time to visit the southland. Tell us about the down home cookin' you sample.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you have a wonderful and beautiful trip. Thank you so much for the pencils! It was so fun to get something in the mail from you! The books sound wonderful. I must look them up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you a nice time and I 'll wait for lots of photos. THe books you read sound interesting and the moose on the frame is just gorgeous ( and a bit romantic actually!)

    enjoy your weekend : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. those books sound interesting. I lived in Panama city FL long ago and I remember making decor wreaths using the spanish moss as a base I love the stuff

    -KAT-

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome picture! I can't wait to see pictures from your trip, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a wonderful trip Jen and dont forget to tell us about it when you get back homeX

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm off to check out those websites, i'm always intrigued by lyrical writing.

    ReplyDelete