Saturday, March 3, 2012

hello from South Carolina

Thunderstorms, heavy rain, and a tornado watch have me inside now, with husband and in-laws, books, coffee, naps, and oranges, but this morning I sneaked out to Bluffton, where many of the Main Street (Calhoun Street, actually) cottages (and an old gas station) are galleries and stores.








I badly want this bookcase because 1) it's a bookcase 2) it's a perfect shabby blue, but mostly because the top of it says Bluffton Public Library! They said I could have it for $15, but how much would it cost me to ship it or take it on the plane?


At The Cottage I had a very non-Southern omelette with avocado, cilantro, and parmesan, served with the best corn bread I've ever had. I have more to tell you about Bluffton, but that's enough excitement for now.

Jen

11 comments:

  1. Those shops look super, and couldn't you just squeeze the bookcase on the plane, its gorgeous. Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are in another place this weekend, that you mentioned though I was confused. Lovely looking cottages and shops. It must be exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen... we're so glad you are down in our neck of the woods! So very sorry the weather is acting up a bit. We have had such a crazy winter and now March has brought heavy thunderstorms and tornadoes. Hope you get to enjoy the beauty of both Charleston and Savannah. The buds on the dogwood trees are popping open and our beautiful pink azaleas are beginning to bloom. Sending wishes for you to experience the beauty of March in the South. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute town! I would enjoy a stroll around there. Too bad about the shelf. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great pics. looks like a nice place to be. the food must be amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are a great ad for Calhoun Street - so colorful, so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. adorable shopping...and I love the blue shelf too. have a great time

    -KAT-

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so exciting! I know how annoying is to see something one really would like to have and then one can't take it one plane or it would cost a fortune to ship it! I hope the omelette comforted you a little! Christa

    ReplyDelete
  10. All these shops/houses have such personality. What a cool place. You could always get a bookcase at home and stencil the words on. sorry.

    ReplyDelete