Friday, October 21, 2011

in Italy, thinking about the store

                                                           in the village of Rocca Grimalda

I have been thinking about my store and particularly the name Country Weekend. When planning, I devoted a lot of time to the name, leaning toward something to do with nature, especially a bird name--perhaps Bluebird, the New York State bird, or Mockingbird because it was the 50th anniversary of the publication of To Kill a Mockingbird. However there are an abundance of stores with bird and bird-related names and I wanted to do something different. 

                             view from Yuri and Vera's house, Rocca Grimalda

My husband and I always refer to going to our house in the Catskills as going to the country. Saying that gives me a particular sense of anticipation--a blend of the smell of woodsmoke, the sound of the brook, bright stars, crisp air... I wanted to find a way to convey that in my name for the store--I knew that most of my customers would be weekenders. I don't think I was particularly successful. It's too long (I figured that out when having signs made), and it doesn't signal what kind of business it is. Is it a travel agency perhaps?

above: closeup of tiles from the roof below, on a building at the dairy farm in Rossiglione.


I've thought about changing the name. I'm probably going to close for a while this winter, freshen things up, so I could do it them. Maybe call it Fern & Moss or Forest. Or something clever. But I have my logo, my business cards, my signs, and it could be confusing to my present customers. So I will stay with it and make the best of it.

Outdoor wood-burning oven at Yuri and Vera's. 

Tonight for dinner we had pizza, lasagna and chicken all baked in this oven, and yes the lasagna noodles were hand-made and practically melted in my mouth. I am finding the country weekend state of mind in abundance here in Italy and hope that I will find new ways of thinking about my store, and my life, while I am here. 

10 comments:

  1. I love the knitting together of seeming;y random thoughts about your cleverly named store with the enviable pictures of where you actually are....

    Enjoy every sight and bite.

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. " Because it was the 50th anniversary of the publication of To Kill a Mockingbird", oh, really? I love the story. I saw the video twice and tried to read the original with Japanese translation.

    The lasagna noodles sounds good!!
    To think about your store in such an enviroment will bring you a good result, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    I came here through haricot blog.
    I like your header photo very much. Is it the Catskill mountain? I remember the name of the mountain in the story of Rip Van Winkle. Your pictures are all tender and fascinating.
    You seem to be enjoying the stay in Italy.
    Have nice holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dinner sounds delicious, melt in the mouth and making me want some!

    I love the photos that you have posted of your break in Italy,
    you are making me extremely envious!

    Have a lovely time and enjoy every minute.


    x Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos of Italy... relax, refresh, rejoice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck deciding what to do with the shop name! I really love the roof tiles with faces!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I heard your store name, I could feel exactly what you were going for. That relaxing "holiday" feeling. I like it, but if you decided to change, I am sure you would come up with something equally as wonderful, I love your pictures! Glad you are having such wonderful food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can do what ever you feel is the right thing for you ! If you want to change the name do it after the winter break and Im sure it will be like a rebirth and refreshing for you. Im just glad your sticking with it and not abandoning the store. Have a great vaca and I love the photos of the oven outside bu that lovely old tree fantastic

    - KAT -

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm faint with delight at the view from your friends' house...! love seeing these pics. as for the name... I like Country Weekend a lot, but I say if you feel like changing it, why not?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jen, i love the name Country Weekend! why change it? its lovely, full of anticipation as you say. i doubd a lot about calling my blog Paraphernalia, i mean nobody knows what that means, but i kept `cause it meant something to me, and eventually people don`t care what your shop or blog is called. they come to demie. the come to Jen! itsn`t that a success?
    enjoy Italy : )

    ReplyDelete