Friday, February 17, 2017

Looking

Brooklyn, New York

                                                                  Hello, my friends.

I've been away for too long, but, as the saying goes: 
The more things change, the more they stay the same. 
(Or something.)

Kawasi Hasui, 1923. Seen at the Clark Museum, Williamstown Massachusetts

 I've discovered an era of Japanese prints that I love--Shin Hanga, from the first half of the twentieth century, moving away from traditionalists like Hokusai, toward modernism.

Sea roses, Portland Maine
 My love for flowers and the world of nature continues. 
No matter how much I look, there is always something new to see, 
or a new way of looking at it.



Teddy Bear Cholla, Tucson Arizona

 I try to remember to look up, to look down, 
to look wherever I am not looking. 
To investigate tree bark and ditch flowers.


Ice, Andes New York


I get absorbed in watching ice form, water flow, the colors of wild flowers. 
Can perspective be a saving grace?

Greenpoint waterfront, Brooklyn

 I hope that you are well, I really do.
xo
Jennifer



11 comments:

  1. Hello Jennifer, You are right, Japanese prints are not a single genre, but have developed much over their centuries of production. I love the texture of the stone wall in the one you show. You have the patience to get close to and notice beautiful and interesting things, and are rewarded accordingly. What have you been painting, lately?
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim,
      I saw a show at the Clark that really opened my eyes to 20th century Japanese prints--it was fabulous and inspiring. I painted a lot of marshes last summer and fall. Infant I'm still painting marshes. Am working on a very green forest/creek right now. Thanks for asking. So nice to touch base.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to see you back once in a while. Love all of these pictures, and at the risk of being a complete pain in the butt I will again urge you to paint the Arizona photo!!!! Please???????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia--Your post inspired me! I will post here more often. Once a month? Al least once a season. Thanks for reminding me about Arizona, and a trip I took earlier in the year to New Mexico. I've been feeling kind of stuck--maybe I'll start working on those inspirations.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I believe perspective can be a saving grace. Your cholla image brings back so many memories... A challenging part of my life, but a part of me nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a Shin Hanga for the first time. It must have been really difficult to go beyond Ukiyoe. The depiction of the watery ground is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky enough to see a show of Japanese prints at The Clark Museum. They had tradition Ukiyoe and a good selection of Shin Hanga--it was my introduction and I fell in love. There were also some more modern prints.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you are alive and maybe you feel the spring coming on early this year and this post and your words and these images are a little celebration of sorts?

    ReplyDelete