Wednesday, February 23, 2011

secret garden


When I was a child we had a border of massive, unpruned lilacs. That was my special place to read and play and daydream. The smell was lovely--sweet and fresh. Last spring I went to see the lilacs at Boston's Arnold Arboretum--there are hundreds of them in shades of white, pink, blue and purple and I got that deja vu smell thing and was happy and sad at the same time. I like to think about lilacs now when I have three feet of snow in my yard. Did you have a favorite place in nature when you were a child?


2 comments:

  1. Morning Jennifer! I love lilacs! They are my absolute favorite smelling flowers. Can't wait for this snow to melt and the flowers to bloom!

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. same here! we really couldn't grow lilac in southern OC but they do well up here. I've inherited a few and will plant more... plus peonies!

    ReplyDelete