Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Back to Brooklyn

Boris Anisfeld (Russian, 1879-1973) 'Clouds Over the Black Sea--Crimea', 1906.



Hello Friends,

So many changes. I've moved to Brooklyn, mainly because of the little scamp pictured above--my granddaughter Lyra. She fills my heart, my life, she is a gift. I lived in Brooklyn in the 80's and have never felt as at home as I do here. It's crowded, cacophonous, falling apart. But so much beauty in the people. As the world outside my little bubble grows uglier, I find people get kinder. People I don't even know--just passing on the street, or holding a door open. The baby is so friendly--she beams at all we see, and they beam back.

I just finished a profound book--The Overstory, by Richard Powers. I can't even talk about it--it's still so close. My other favorite books of the past couple years are Mink River and The Plover, both by Brian Doyle. They are all intertwined with nature, friendship, love, sorrow, beauty...

I hope you too are finding kindness in your travels.

Jennifer

11 comments:

  1. Hello Jennifer, So wonderful to get this update from you. As I move between Taiwan and Ohio, I find so much kindness in both places, and often courtesy the junior set, so I know what you mean. Your artist's eye will absorb these lessons well; I hope you will share with us your current projects and insights.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim,
      I feel like I ran into you on the street and we went for coffee! I'll try to drop by more often, and hope you will too.

      Delete
  2. Jen, I was so happy to see your post in Jane's feed (which I check every morning - I use her feed update to keep up with Saipua and Marie).

    Lyra and the Clouds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I love that you use Jane's feed. Just yesterday I was remembering Flowers in the House.

      Delete
  3. So glad you're blogging again. Wonderful photograph. Lyra is a delight from afar. Who is the artist of that wonderful painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ach, I can't believe I didn't credit it. Will add. It's by a Russian artist, Boris Anisfeld, painted in 1906--'Clouds over the Black Sea. I love it!

      Delete
  4. Very happy to see you and little Lyra happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back to the blog world, dear Jen !
    I am glad that you are happy with your beautiful granddaughter!
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed seeing this post somehow. I'm sure you are enjoying yourself in Brooklyn. It could be though that the world outside of your bubble is not nearly so ugly as you think it is or as is being presented to you, no? ☺

    ReplyDelete