Thursday, June 25, 2015

a country weekend


After the four hour drive, up Weaver Hollow Road, then a steep plunge down to our house.

frog pond at dusk
 I walk the property, making sure all is well.

buttercups, rocks, lichen and brook


the blue hills of the western Catskills

forget-me-nots
 Water and wildflowers, wildflowers and water.

the waterfall
 Wandering, gazing, pondering.

frog pond by day

orange hawkweed a/k/a devil's paintbrush

Ferns, lichen, moss. Stones, bluets, blackberries. Every day in the same places I would seen new things, things anew. There were friends and family, lovingly prepared meals, country roads, farmers markets, my favorite used books store, a gallery opening for a dear friend. I exhale, take a deep breath, breathe.

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was a great, Amelia. We had a couple of extra days, which helped.

      Delete
  2. I think I just let my breath out. Now I'm paying attention to all the night noises around me, birds, neighbors laughing, I'm watching cats watch fireflies and smell petunias at night.

    Thank you Jen.

    Xo J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about that-soundst when I got back. I like to sit outside in the evening. I live on a busy street and it's interesting to listen to the shifts in sounds as the evening goes on. Owls, birds, breeze.

      Delete
  3. That is lovely. Love the photo at dusk with the daisies standing out. What hardwood trees grow in the Catskills? Fabulous view of distant mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm..lots of hardwoods. The usual suspects. We have a lot of birch and hemlock (which I know is not a hardwood.) Oaks and maples, not sure what else.

      Delete
  4. beautiful. I hope I make it to that part of the world one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Jennifer, Your pictures define what summer is all about--at least on the Nature side of things. I just got back to Ohio for a trip, so I will soon get to experience some of this first-hand.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful place to catch your breath... Awesome photos, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I realise now that, until I saw your photo of the blue Catskills, I didn't really know they existed somewhere outside fiction. Blogs are like that, real people you feel you know a tiny bit, a bridge to the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way about where you live---it's all moody seas, and Yeats to me.

      Delete
  8. How wondrous! And how well-deserved after that strenuous Winter you-all had to endure.
    Great to see the waterfall running again!
    Peace be with you,
    Diane in Denver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. I have truly treasured spring/early summer this year!

      Delete
  9. How do you leave such a beautiful place....although I guess the anticipation of returning makes it alright. ♥

    ReplyDelete